Sunday, December 4, 2011

Brined Roast Turkey

I got this from the Sisters Cafe, and it was definitely the best turkey we have ever had! I was scared to try it, but it turned out wonderful and really wasn't hard. I forgot to take a picture, but it was so good!

1 14-16 pound turkey or a 7-8 pound breast(I used 2)

For the Brine:
1 c. kosher salt
1/2 c. light brown sugar
1 gallon chicken or vegetable broth
1 TBL black peppercorns
1 1/2 tsp allspice berries
1 1/2 tsp candied ginger(I left this out)
1 gallon heavily iced water

3-4 days before roasting, begin thawing turkey in refrigerator. Combine broth, salt, sugar, peppercorns, and all spice berries in large stockpot over med high heat. Stir ocasionally to dissolve solids and bring to a boil. Then remove from heat, cool to room temp and refrigerate.
The night before you'd like to serve the turkey: combine the brine, water and ice in a 5 gallon bucket. Place thawed turkey with innards removed breast side down in the brine. You can weigh it down to make sure it is fully immmersed if you have to. Refrigerate or set in a cool area 8-16 hours, turning bird once halfway through brining.
Preheat oven to 500 degrees f. Remove bird from brine and discard brine. Place on rack in pan and Pat dry with paper towels really well, this is important to a good roasted turkey. Coat the wings liberally with canola oil. Roast the turkey on the lowest level of the oven for 30 min, 15 min for a breast. Insert a probe thermometer into the thickest part of the brest and reduce oven temp to 350. Set thermometer alarm if available to 161 degrees f. A 14-16 pound bird should require a total of 2-2 1/2 hours of roasting time. Let turkey rest, loosely covered with foil for 15 min before carving.

No comments:

Post a Comment